[Samba] ads_sasl_spnego_krb5_bind failed: Program lacks supportfor encryption type [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 14:33:54 MST 2010

On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 1:35 PM, <dale at briannassaladdressing.com> wrote:

> Alex,
>
> I've been a victim of this since Day 1.  After a lot of reading and
> emailing, it comes down to this.  libkrb5-3 version 1.8x by default
> disallows DES encryption.  /etc/krb5.conf can be changed to allow weak
> encryption, but as it relates to Samba, is only effective in letting the
> system join the domain.  For it's internal functioning, winbind uses an
> autogenerated krb5.conf that resides in /var/run/samba.  This krb5.conf has
> no knowledge of allow_weak_crypto=true.  Sam Hartman, the maintainer of
> libkrb5-3 in Debian, has taken over the responsibility of fixing that
> package, rather than the Samba maintainers doing a change there.  In the
> interim, winbind is broken with libkrb5-3 version 1.8x.  We can only hope
> this fix is soon coming.
>
> Dale

Instead of lowering the encryption level to something broken 12 years ago,
why not just remove DES from everywhere and replace with stronger encryption
types?

Microsoft is phasing out winbind for 2008, so i wonder what that means for
SaMBa winbind.  i would hope to use an all kerberos/ldap solution for
authentication in order to continue Linux ADS interoperability.

Does anyone have a winbind_krb5_locator.so file?  All i have on my system is
a docbook/manpage but no binary file.   If it was there, it seems like it
would use /etc/krb5.conf instead of another.
http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages-3/winbind_krb5_locator.7.html

Under Fedora, the referenced file winbind_krb5_locator.so  is non
existant.

Another poster emailed that they tried changing the krb5.conf manually on
Debian Squeeze
(edited /var/run/samba/smb_krb5/krb5.conf.NETBIOSNAME) and when I
restart winbind, the file is clobbered back to the original. I think this is
in conjunction with a bug from Kerberos where if DES is specified as a
supported type, even if something else better is specified, Kerberos refuses
to play.

Here is what 3.4.5 is showing:
        default_tgs_enctypes = RC4-HMAC DES-CBC-CRC DES-CBC-MD5
        default_tkt_enctypes = RC4-HMAC DES-CBC-CRC DES-CBC-MD5
        preferred_enctypes = RC4-HMAC DES-CBC-CRC DES-CBC-MD5

It would be nice to have some sort of fix/workaround for this, it seems to
have blindsided us.

I just noticed Jeremy's post, yes it would be helpful to have a config
option to have all kerberos related options in /etc/krb5.conf and i wonder
if that is what the winbind_krb5_locator.so file is meant to do?