[Samba] OS X Clients Unable To Create Subdirectories?

Kimball Larsen kimball at miridiatech.com
Tue Feb 9 11:58:00 MST 2010

I asked about this a few days ago, but none of the suggestions have made any difference... asking again in the hopes I'll find more things to try....

Linux: Ubuntu 9.10
Samba version: 3.4.0
OS X 10.6.2

I'm running samba on a local linux server, with a bunch of shares.  Over the last several years, this has worked perfectly in our heterogenous network of OS X and Windows.  All my windows clients still work perfectly - my users can mount the samba shares and create, rename, move etc files and folders.

However, recently (starting yesterday) my OS X clients are unable to rename any sub directories on any of my shares.

So, if I have a structure like this:

Share Root
	FooFolder
		Bar Folder

My OS X users are able to create and rename directories in the share root, but are unable to rename folders they create in sub directories.

So, if my OS X user navigates to FooFolder and tries to create a new folder there, a new folder is created called "untitled folder", but I'm unable to rename it.  Every time I do, the finder says "You don't have permission to rename the item "untitled folder".

But, again, I can create and rename folders in the root of the share without issue.

Copying files back and forth are fine - just renaming sub directories is the issue.

Here are the relevant bits from my smb.conf (Neighborhood is the name of the share):

[global]
       log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
       load printers = no
       guest account = nobody
       passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
       socket options = TCP_NODELAY
       obey pam restrictions = yes
       encrypt passwords = true
       passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
       passdb backend = tdbsam
       dns proxy = no
       delete readonly = yes
       server string = %h server
       invalid users = root
       workgroup = lappygroup
       security = share
       syslog = 0
       max log size = 1000
       unix extensions = no

[Neighborhood]
 comment = Who are the people in your neighborhood...
 path = /mnt/brick/Neighborhood
 public = yes
 writable = yes
 create mask = 0777
 directory mask = 0777
 force user = nobody
 force group = nogroup

And here are the permissions on the root of the share:
root at jake:/mnt/brick# ls -la | grep Neighborhood
drwxrwxrwx 46 nobody nogroup 2360 2010-02-02 15:31 Neighborhood

And the "Advertising" directory where I want to create a sub directory.
root at jake:/mnt/brick/Neighborhood# ls -la | grep Advertising
drwxrwxrwx  4 nobody nogroup       144 2010-02-02 15:49 Advertising

And the resulting "untitled folder" that is created by the OS X client.
root at jake:/mnt/brick/Neighborhood/Advertising# ls -la
total 11
drwxrwxrwx  4 nobody nogroup  144 2010-02-02 15:49 .
drwxrwxrwx 46 nobody nogroup 2360 2010-02-02 15:31 ..
-rwxrwxrwx  1 nobody nogroup 6148 2009-05-04 10:03 .DS_Store
drwxrwxrwx  3 nobody nogroup 1064 2008-12-17 15:38 Lead Tracking
drwxrwxrwx  2 nobody nogroup   48 2010-02-02 15:49 untitled folder

What should I be checking?

Thanks!

-- Kimball