[Samba] Using the 'WatchSubDirectories' setting in a .NET FileSystemWatcher with a Samba Share

Sun Feb 7 07:36:09 MST 2010

On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 07:14:00PM +0000, Henri Cook wrote:
> I've just managed to upgrade to Samba 3.3 and am pretty ecstatic about
> finding i can now use FileSystemWatcher to watch for file changes in a
> directory. On a Windows system however, when I say 'watch $dir' with
> watchsubdirectories == true and $dir/a/file.jpg is changed, I get a
> filechanged notification - on Samba 3.3 this doesn't happen - does
> anyone know if it's a bug that was fixed, or something that's not being
> approached?
>
> I do get notifications for files in $dir with the above example. Is
> there anyway I can watch for changes in $dir/a/ $dir/b/ etc with my .NET
> program?
>
> References for these filesystem-level onchange events:
>
> http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2006-February/117361.html - Back in
> 2006 was when the first support for these events was implemented, i'm
> really wondering whether anyone knows if it's come any further than this
> - or whether it's a bug that's looking to be fixed, or whether it's
> simply never going to make it into Samba?

In theory, it should work even recursively against Samba.
Can you do a network trace of your application and upload it
somewhere for download? It would be great if you could do
comparative traces of your app against Windows and against
Samba.

http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Capture_Packets

Thanks,

Volker