[Samba] Windows 7 domain logon timeouts was Re: Domain login delays w2k8 R2

Cain, Marc mcain at sccd.ctc.edu
Thu Feb 4 11:54:56 MST 2010

Samba 3.4.3 (ldap backend)
Windows 7 Enterprise

I've experienced the identical symptoms with Windows 7 ENT and found this workaround.

When the following local GPO is left in its default setting Samba domain logons are delayed for 30 seconds: "Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\User Profiles\Set maximum wait time for the network if the user has a roaming user profile or remote home directory."

Enable this and set the value to 0 to work around this timeout.  The timeout does not occur when logging into an Active Directory PDC running Server 2008 R2.  I have not tested this with w2k8 R2 client.

In addition, if the user's desktop is set to a solid background color logons of any kind (local, AD, samba) will be delayed by 30 seconds.  Set the background to any .jpg image or apply Microsoft's hotfix to work around this issue.  This is a cumulative timeout; that is, if the above timeout is in affect and the solid background color timeout is also in affect the delay is 60 seconds.

I also experienced a 30 second timeout when I set the local GPO to "Run logon scripts synchronously".  This problem has inexplicably vanished and I can't replicate it though I don't see it listed in any Windows 7 updates.  Might have been happening to me with Windows 7 PRO.  I'll check that if anyone is interested.  The fix was to apply an old Vista reg setting.  Can be Googled as "Vista Run logon scripts synchronously".

Marc Cain