[Samba] Word open all DOC files read-only on Samba shares

Bernard Dautrevaux bernard.dautrevaux at ac6.fr
Thu Feb 4 04:05:45 MST 2010

Hello all,

I just switched my old server to a new machine, upgrading the Samba server
from 3.0.1 to 3.4.5 (-55.fc12).

When Word (Office2003) tries to open a *.DOC file, it takes a very long time
(about 10 seconds) then the file is opened Read-Only... If I try to open a
*.RTF file it opens very fast, and I can write it...

I'm scratching my head for the whole day and what I've discovered is below:
    Only *.doc files are concerned; *.rtf files open perfectly in MSWord
    The problem seems to not exist on Office-2007, but only(?) on
Office-2003 (but of course its a different PC, although a very similar one)
    The permissions are correct on Linux to give r/w access to the file and
this is correctly understood by Samba
        anyone in the correct group can overwrite it freely from windows
explorer (when permissions are set to -rw-rw----)
        non-Office2003 tools (like OpenOffice) can freely work on the file
        Office2003 Word wait 10 seconds then open DOC files Read-Only (even
when permissions are -rwxrwxrwx)
    The exact same setup on Samba 3.0.1 works like a charm, problems occur
when switching to Samba-3.4.5

I really need to found a solution as I can't use a workaround like copying
the files back and forth to edit them: Word is in fact launched from another
program, using paths stored in a database...

Note that when starting Word through the other tool, I got a warning saying
the file is already in use and allows to either open it Read-Only or open a
copy of the file... This used to work correctly on Samba-3.0.1

I've looked in the archives but I only find one reference to the same
problem, and I do not see any solution to it. I've inserted the globals and
one share definition at the end of the message.

Thanks in advance,

Bernard

[global]
 workgroup = ACSYS
 server string = Serveur Acsys
 obey pam restrictions = Yes
 guest account = pcguest
 enable privileges = No
 pam password change = Yes
 passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
 unix password sync = Yes
 lanman auth = Yes
 client lanman auth = Yes
 client plaintext auth = Yes
 log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
 debug hires timestamp = Yes
 debug pid = Yes
 debug uid = Yes
 time server = Yes
 hostname lookups = Yes
 add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g machines -s
/bin/false -M %u
 logon script = logon.cmd
 logon path = \\%L\profile\%U
 logon drive = H: