[Samba] "You do not have permission to change" password issue with XP clients

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 09:25:02 MST 2010

On 02/02/10 18:07, Brett Charbeneau wrote:
> Greetings all
>
> I'm running Samba 3.0 on an Ubuntu box as a PDC and I'm having trouble
> changing passwords with XP clients - here's my smb.conf
> http://pastebin.com/m1bb6d4a6
>
> I've played with a variety of "passwd chat" settings but no joy. I am
> trying to use pam_cracklib.so - here's my /etc/pam.d/common-password
> file: http://pastebin.com/m1a1d5f89
>
> I've tried the suggestions in this thread, but no luck:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/samba@lists.samba.org/msg104476.html
>
> Any hints? I'd be very grateful for any suggestions anyone has the
> time to offer!

Are you using an LDAP backend?

I am not sure the samba password chat chat scripts can pass the "old"
password back to unix.    My experience with ldap (Sun LDAP server not
OpenLDAP)  is that that password change either requires the user's old
password or the LDAP admin pw.  The local "root" account does not have
privledges to change ldap passwords.  (Local or NIS password's weren't a
problem.)