[Samba] Domain login delays w2k8 R2

Martin Hochreiter linuxbox at wavenet.at
Wed Feb 3 07:46:37 MST 2010

Am 2010-02-03 15:19, schrieb Åke Holmlund:
> Hello!
>
> From what I can see, there is no DNS-traffic around the time of the
> gaps and the DNS-activity I can see in onther places seems ok. There
> is almost no network traffic and no CPU activity during the gaps so
> it looks like some kind of timeout issue.
>
> It may be of interest that, for the moment, IPv6 is beeing used.
> Sometimes we also have quite a long delay if we click on the "View
> computers and devices" link in the "Network and Sharing Center".
>
> Regards,
> Åke Holmlund
>
> --On 2 februari 2010 10.16.22 -0800 Jeremy Allison <jra at samba.org> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 07:03:11PM +0100, Åke Holmlund wrote:
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> We have a w2k8 R2 64-bit machine in a Samba 3.4.4 controlled domain.
>>> When logging in as a domain user there is a ~30 sec delay waiting
>>> for the User Profile Service. This has nothing to do with the size
>>> of the user profile. Looking at the network traffic I can see 2
>>> gaps, the first about 11 sek and the second about 19 sek with
>>> no packets sent except one TCP ACK (from the client) in each gap.
>>>
>>> Between the gaps there is only a few packets sent. According
>>> to WireShark it's a "Tree Disconnect Request" with response and
>>> a "Logoff AndX Request" with response.
>>>
>>> Any idea what may be causing this?
Hi!

We had the same problem - 2 ~30 second delays while loading the
roaming profile
The solution at our site was not related to samba ... it was the McAffee
enterprise
virus scanner. By patching it to the latest version this 2 delays were gone.
- do you use McAffee or a similar enterprise scanner?

regards
Maritn