[Samba] permissions on Samba share mount point in RHEL 5

Chaitanya technocp at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 02:12:31 MST 2010

Dear friends,

I am straight away coming to the point I have a samba
server<http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/#>and I have created a public
share (with full permissions for every user in
network) and I have mounted it on a RHEL machine. The problem is that
permissions on the mount change when I restart the samba server and other
thing is that when any user on rhel machine creates any folder in mounted
folder S/he can create it but after that the permission of that folder
doesn't allow any user to create any folder or
file<http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/#>inside that folder. I will
explain you what I have done till now to achieve
what I want.

My Samba server IP <http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/#> is 192.168.1.104
My Samba share name is vol7
I have set full permission (777) to vol7 (Recursively -R)
I have created a user on samba server machine in name of ofguest
I have set both user and group ownership of vol7 to ofguest (Recursively -R)
I have SGID on vol7 (Recursively -R)

after doing this I thought that when this share will be mounted on any
machine all the users will be able to create folders and files which will
not have any restriction for using, modifying or deleteing. that means any
user will be able to open any file or folder created by any user and will
also be able to create folder in any folder.

Details of machine where I mount the share
RHEL machine with IP 192.168.1.106
Mount Point is /mountpoint
I have changed permission of /mountpoint to 777 (Recursively -R)
my fstab entry :
//192.168.1.104/vol7 /mountpoint cifs rw,password=

The Problem
when the share is mounted I can get all the users to create files and
folders but when any user creates a folder the permissions are not
recursively that means if that user tries to create a folder or file inside
previously created folder it is not allowed. the only thing that happens is
only ofguest user have group permissions on that newly created file or
folder.

I doubt if the system permissions are overwriting the permissions set by
samba

Can any one suggest any Idea so that this mount point can be used as an
ideal public mount where everyone have all the permission for creating
folders and files recursively.

Thanks in advance for any help

--

Technocp