[Samba] (no subject)

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Tue Feb 2 22:00:27 MST 2010

James Hurlburt put forth on 2/2/2010 4:56 PM:

> NET805: NETWORK DEVICE NO LONGER EXISTS READING DRIVE U
>
> Abort, Retry, Fail?

Hi James,

You didn't happen to put the new Samba server on a different IP subnet or VLAN
than the old server did you?  You didn't show the IP's and subnet masks of each
machine.

IIRC, NETBIOS can have problems crossing some routers and VLANs, possibly other
network boundaries.  If you aren't already, the first thing I'd do is get the
new server on an IP address consecutive to the old server and make sure they're
jacked into the same switch.  This should eliminate any possible network
topology issues causing problems.

Is the new server a virtual machine?  Make sure the hypervisor is allowing
NETBIOS traffic to flow from the physical NIC to/from the VM.  Actually, I
should say, make sure it isn't disallowing such traffic.  This is unlikely, but
it's best to check.  Running in a VM can often cause goofy hard to solve
problems because of things not working at low levels the way we expect them to.

Lastly, disable any iptables rules on the new server or other firewall scripting
software, and disable SELinux if it is enabled.  Look at netstat -an on both
servers when connecting with the clients, and make sure all the same ports are
being used.

That's about all I can think of at this point.  As Gunter mentioned, a network
trace couldn't hurt.  I'd probably try a few of the less time consuming
recommendations above before resorting to the trace.

--
Stan