[Samba] Problem with file ownerships on domain member server

jrmailgate-samba at yahoo.co.uk jrmailgate-samba at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Feb 2 03:14:03 MST 2010

Hi

I'm possibly missing something obvious, but I'm struggling with ownership permissions on a Samba server.

I have a Solaris 10 server running Samba 3.0.33. The server has been joined to the Active Directory domain (CSS).

Every user has both a Unix login (served by NIS) and a Windows Domain login account. I can connect to the Samba share and create files without any problems. The Samba install is successfully mapping domain user "jsmith" to the Unix user "jsmith".

However, when I check the ownership of the file from within Windows, I see that the file is owned by "jsmith (Unix User\jsmith)" and not "jsmith (CSS\jsmith)".

Is it possible to configure Samba so that files are created with the DOMAIN\username instead of "Unix User\username"?

This is my smb.conf file:

[global]
        workgroup = CSS
        realm = CSS.AD.EXAMPLE.COM
        server string = Solaris Samba Server
        security = ADS
        password server = mancssdc01, mancssdc02, mancssdc03
        log file = /var/samba/log/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        load printers = No
        preferred master = No