[Samba] I can not create Home DIR

Moray Henderson Moray.Henderson at ict-software.org
Mon Feb 1 03:02:58 MST 2010

Claudio Guzman wrote:
>when users enter the system can not see your home folder, or it asks
>the username and password denuevo. My configuration is
>
>Server + Samba + LDAP PDC
>Samba server that only has the shared folders and are accessed via
>winbind and pam
>
># Global settings
>[global]
>        display charset = LOCALE
>        passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
>*passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
>        idmap gid = 1000-33554431
>        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
>        netbios name = srvsamba
>        idmap uid = 1000-33554431
>        dos charset = CP850
>        local master = no
>        workgroup = SERVER
>        debug level = 9
>        os level = 0
>        security = domain
>        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
>        guest account = nobody
>        smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
>        load printers = no
>        socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
>        wins server = 192.168.1.252
>        map to guest = Bad User
>        domain master = no
>        encrypt passwords = yes
>        realm =
>        template shell = /bin/false
>        server string = srvsamba
>        winbind enum users = Yes
>        password server = 192.168.1.252
>        template homedir = /mnt/samba/home/%U
>        winbind enum groups = Yes
>        unix charset = UTF-8
>        preferred master = no
>        pam password change = yes
>        winbind use default domain = no
>
>[homes]
>        comment = Home Directories
>        browseable = no
>        writeable = yes

What OS is Samba running on?

I have seen this sort of thing when the user's home directory from the
Unix side (passwd or LDAP) is a symlink rather than a real directory, on
CentOS 5.  SELinux prevents Samba from using the symlink, so I have to
make sure all users' home directory entries point to the real thing.  To
check for SELinux errors use "aureport --avc", or see if there's
anything useful in the samba logs.

Moray.
"To err is human.  To purr, feline"