[Samba] web based backend

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Thu Dec 30 19:26:12 MST 2010

Hi Vaclav, Andrew, Matthieu,

On Fri, 2010-12-31 at 01:44 +0300, Matthieu Patou wrote:
> On 25/12/2010 17:04, Vaclav Klecanda wrote:
> > Hi Andrew,
> > my original idea was rather implement a separate project, not included into
> > samba4 source but rather above it. If there was  an unified way to provision
> > samba related things it would not be problem to build a provisioning above
> > the samba. No matter it is web based or whatever else. But it would require
> > that the provisioning will not change and is well documented.
> > I like python and django, so my original idea was to use this to implement
> > web based provisioning to samba.
While end-to-end testing of AJAX applications is not as easy as, say, a
command-line application, it is certainly not impossible. The previous
incarnation of SWAT2 had no tests whatsoever, and it could easily have
had a lot better test coverage. Its main worker functions, which didn't
involve any AJAXy bits at all, should have had tests, but we didn't have
the habit of unit testing our swat2 EJS code.

There are several frameworks that help in doing end to end testing. I
only have (mixed) experiences with Windmill, see
http://www.getwindmill.com/

> SWAT2 development is still active, it's ricardo (a samba's soc) who is
> doing stuff on it.
He's doing a great job, and I think it deserves a bit more visibility.
It would be nice to make it a bit more easily installable (it should
be just a matter of unpacking a tar.gz in the right location, but isn't
at the moment).

Cheers,

Jelmer