[Samba] Killed HP LH4000 envelope feeder upgrading Ubuntu 9.04 --> 10.04 LTS

Michael Lueck mlueck at lueckdatasystems.com
Thu Dec 30 19:19:46 MST 2010

Greetings,

Some time ago I upgraded an Ubuntu 9.04 to 10.04 LTS. I am running the distro packages of Samba, currently 3.4.7~dfsg-1ubuntu3.2

The upgrades (I had to pass through 9.10 to get to 10.04, but stayed there only moments) killed the ability to use the envelope feeder on our HP LaserJet 4000 printer.

This evening I decided to purge off all printer related files from our server, re-upload the drivers, etc... to see if that would help. It did not.

Steps to do the above:

1) Stop Samba

2) Backup files:
/var/lib/samba/ntdrivers.tdb
/var/lib/samba/ntprinters.tdb
/var/lib/samba/ntforms.tdb
/var/cache/samba/printing/printers.tdb
/var/cache/samba/printing/HPLJ4000-PS.tdb
/var/cache/samba/printing/HPLJ4000-PCL6.tdb
/var/cache/samba/printing/HPLJ4000-PCL5e.tdb
/srv/shares/print/* (dir that has the print share for drivers to be uploaded to)

3) Delete said files

4) Restart Samba

5) From a Windows XP Pro workstation, login to the domain with an ID that is a PrinterAdmin

6) Re-upload drivers

7) Check the check box in the driver for the Envelope feeder.
The check box would NOT stay checked in the PCL-5e or PCL 6 drivers.
The check box DID say checked in the PS driver.

8) Return to test workstation, reinstall the drivers overtop of the drivers already on the workstation (same version drivers as before, HP has not updated them recently)

9) Confirm that the PS driver DID have the Envelope Feeder selected

10) Try printing an envelope, printer LCD does indicate that it is going to print an envelope, however 8.5 x 11 paper is pulled in

Suggestions? TIA!

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems