[Samba] Could not find base dn trying to join a machine into the domain

sisu . npillao at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 30 05:39:24 MST 2010

Hi all,

Trying to set up a samba PDC with 389-fd LDAP I get and error when I try to join my first windows machine to the domain.
I did the smbldap-populate and all seems ok. The point is when I add a machine through command line as:

usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w "testmaschine4"

I don't get any error, below I can demonstrate it:

#getent passwd |grep 515
testmachine$:*:5001:515:Computer:/dev/null:/bin/false
testmaschine2$:*:5002:515:Computer:/dev/null:/bin/false

But the problem occurs when through the windowsXP box I try to join to the domain. I type my Administrator user with his password but then I get an error dialogue which says:
"The user name could not be found"

When I try to find out more info in  the administrator.log on samba server I can see these lines:

check_ntlm_password:  authentication for user [Administrator] -> [Administrator] -> [Administrator] succeeded
Returning domain sid for domain XXXXX -> S-1-5-21-2019295574-2912910430-xxxxxx
Could not find base dn, to get next uidNumber at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/smbldap_tools.pm line 1181
 _samr_create_user: Running the command `/usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w "vmwinxpbox$"' gave 2

I don't understand why smbldap-useradd is able to add that machine through command line but it is not able through windows box

Useful info:

smbldap-populate file:

suffix="o=company,dc=lan"
computersdn="ou=machines,${suffix}"
sambaUnixIdPooldn="sambadomainname=domainname,ou=domains,o=company,dc=lan"
defaultComputerGid="515"

smb.cnf:

ldap suffix = dc=lan
ldap machine suffix = ou=machines,o=company
add machine script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w "%u"

Thank you in advance. any advice will be grateful :)