[Samba] confusion about using samba as NT4 PDC with ldapsam backend

TAKAHASHI Motonobu monyo at monyo.com
Wed Dec 29 10:05:14 MST 2010

2010/12/30 Jon Detert <jdetert at infinityhealthcare.com>:
> How do the samba ObjectClasses and their attributes get set for new users?
> E.g. will they be set automagically if I specify the 'add
> {user|group|machine} script' settings in the smb.conf?  If not, how then?

Use smbldap-tools or ldapsam:editposix parameter.
If you have already migrated LDAP users, smbldap-tools will be easy to use,
although mbldap-tools are not maintenanced.

There is a webpage that mentions about ldapsam:editposix:
  http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Ldapsam_Editposix

Or make scripts like smbldap-tools by yourself.

> I'm confused about how/when the samba-supplied ldap schema is used (I mean
> the schema that's in the samba distribution, that contains the
> 'sambaSamAccount' objectClass).
(snip)
> Does the simple fact of specifying 'passdb backend' = ldapsam imply that
> this schema is used?

Yes, Samba assumes proper schema is defined in the LDAP directory.

---
TAKAHASHI Motonobu <monyo at samba.gr.jp>