[Samba] Newbie : bad uid in the smbpasswd file ?

Francois Lafont flafdivers at free.fr
Tue Dec 28 16:43:01 MST 2010

Le 28/12/2010 20:29, Gary Dale a écrit :

> Bonjour Francois. One question is why are you using smbpasswd instead of
> tdb for the backend?

As I said in the title of my post, I'm a newbie and I'm just learning
Samba and at the moment I'm just trying a few basic shares. I have seen
that "tdb backend" is better than "smbpasswd backend" but to begin I
thought It was clearer for me to use plain text file for the storage of
the users'accounts.

And I met this problem of uid that annoys me and I would like to understand.

> I suggest that you remove (purge) your samba implementation and
> reinstall it with the defaults.

I have tried this:

# apt-get update
# apt-get purge samba
# apt-get install samba

But, with the smb.conf file that I have posted in my first message, I
have exactly the same problem:

#------------------------------
# smbpasswd -a francois -D 10 | grep -i 'uid'
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
getsmbfilepwent: returning passwd entry for user francois, uid 0
getsmbfilepwent: returning passwd entry for user francois, uid 0

# cat smbpasswd
francois:0: [snip]

# cat /etc/passwd | grep francois
francois:x:1000:1000:francois,,,:/home/francois:/bin/bash
#------------------------------

I'd really like to understand the problem.

> Next use swat to configure things.

Is it not better to edit smb.conf with a simple editor?

> You need to consider the role the server plays, I highly recommend that
> you make it a domain controller unless you already have one. If you have
> a domain controller then join the server to the domain. If you don't
> have a domain controller, then use your samba server as domain controller.
>
> Once you have your server's role established, add and enable the
> accounts using swat.
>
> If this is a workstation that you are simply trying to share a folder
> from, then consider whether that is really a good idea. Sharing files
> exposes your machine unnecessarily. It is far better to set up a server
> with a shared folder.
>
> You can get all kinds of network storage devices quite cheaply that will
> do the job. Or you can use an old computer and set it up as domain
> controller/file server. You can even share printers, scanners, etc. from
> it.
>
> However, if you must use a workstation to share files, then use swat to
> configure it as a standalone or domain member server with whatever
> access rights you want. However, I strongly advise against using your
> account to provide guest access. Set up a real guest account that has no
> login rights (e.g. set the login shell to /bin/false).

Thanks for the pieces of advice. At the moment, I'm just learning with
my computer (Ubuntu 10.04) and client XP (Virtual machine with VirtualBox).

Francois Lafont