[Samba] Need Help Getting Windows XP To Use Samba Properly

Hodges, Robert CTR USAF AFMC 520 SMXS/MXDEC robert.hodges.ctr at hill.af.mil
Tue Dec 28 15:25:13 MST 2010

Excellent information, thank you.

Unfortunately, none of it solved my problem.

I see a lot of "The specified network name is no longer available" error messages all over the internet from Linux users, and none of the very few solutions I have come across have worked for me.

Anybody else able to chime in and take a guess as why my XP box is having a problem talking to my Solaris/Samba box?  Again, Win2K has no problems talking to the Samba box - it's just XP.

Refresh:  This error happens when you try to browse using "My Network Places" in the desktop.  Mapping works fine, access works fine.  Browsing is what fails in XP.  I need this to work or I'm looking at a huge and expensive documentation change effort that few would understand.

Still desperate for help on this.  This problem happens with WinXP right out of the box, we have nothing weird installed.

Help!