[Samba] reducing smbd memory footprint

Matt LaPlante mattl at google.com
Thu Dec 23 17:00:42 MST 2010

I'm currently compiling Samba 3.3.X with the following:

CFLAGS = -g -Wall -O2

./configure --cache-file=./config.cache \
                --with-fhs \
                --enable-shared \
                --prefix=/usr \
                --sysconfdir=/etc \
                --libdir=/usr/lib/samba \
                --with-privatedir=/etc/samba \
                --with-piddir=/var/run/samba \
                --localstatedir=/var \
                --with-rootsbindir=/sbin \
                --with-syslog \
                --with-utmp \
                --with-readline \
                --with-libsmbclient \
                --with-winbind \

 --with-shared-modules=idmap_rid,idmap_ad,idmap_adex,idmap_hash \
                --without-automount \
                --with-ldap \
                --with-ads \
                --without-smbmount \
                --without-dnsupdate \
                --without-libtalloc \
                --without-libtdb \
                --without-libnetapi \
                --with-modulesdir=/usr/lib/samba \
                --datarootdir=/usr/share \
                --with-lockdir=/var/run/samba  \
                --disable-avahi \
                --disable-swat \
                --with-cifsmount \
                --without-acl-support \
                --without-quotas

The resulting smbd is about 6663656 in size.  I'd love to be able to whittle
this down more to stretch my system resource usage.  Does anyone have
recommendations for alterations that would reduce the ultimate size of the
running process?