[Samba] a simple question for a newbie

François Patte francois.patte at mi.parisdescartes.fr
Thu Dec 23 11:21:29 MST 2010

Bonjour,

I would like to setup a minimal linux samba server on my private lan:
share the /tmp directory on the server, and share any printers plugged
to the server.

I would like that access to these two shares will be possible without
any password from any windows computer on the lan.

Up to now, I have some password problem which I don't understand: for
instance

smbclient -L localhost

asks me for a password, but if I press the enter key (without giving any
password) the answer is given. Why does samba ask for a password?

Same behaviour happens with rpcclient, ...

Here is what I added to my smb.conf file:

To share /tmp:

 [tmp]
        path = /tmp
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes

To share a printer:

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printable = Yes

[HL-2030-series]
        comment = Brother HL-2030 series
        path = /var/spool/samba
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
        printer name = HL-2030-series
        share modes = No

[print$]
        comment = Printer Drivers
        path = /var/lib/samba/drivers
        browseable = yes
        guest ok = yes
        read only = yes

It seems to not work without giving a password...

Last question: as far as I understand, the share print$ is to upload a
printer driver from a windows computer, is there a way to install these
drivers directly on the linux samba server, and where can I find windows
drivers to do this.

Thanks.

- --
François Patte