[Samba] few quick domain questions

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 07:11:50 MST 2010

1.  Domain Admins, Domain Computers etc

Those are well known groups.   Do you have any windows servers or are
they just samba servers?    If you have, or plan to have, any Windows
machines in the domain you are probably better off setting up the groups
correctly rather than trying to fix it later.

Your domain controllers should belong to the "Domain Computers" group-
I don't know if any permissions are by default applied to that group.

I am assuming you at least have a domain Administrator defined?      If
you have Windows machines in the domain, you will need the Domain Admins
group, which is a member of the local Administrators group on any
Windows machine that joins the domain, thereby granting the Domain
Administrator necessary permissions on the Windows machine.    If you
don't have windows machines, you still need your Administrator
permissions to work properly when using the samba "net" command.

2. SIDs and RIDs

Are you creating unix accounts for the machines or users first, or is
samba automatically allocating unix-compatible user and group id's?  Do
you mean you want the RID to be samba_domain_sid+unix_uid?

3. PDC's and BDC's

They should join the domain.  "net getdomainsid" and "net getlocalsid"
should show that each DC has the domain sid as its local sid.    To
reverse the role of PDC vs BDC, you would change which machine is domain
master in smb.conf.

4.  Ldap OU's for users and computers

In my setup, we use ldap for other stuff besides samba so all the "unix"
users and groups and machines exist in ldap  before they are enabled in
samba.   Samba wants a unix account to exist for computers as well as
users.    I don't have an option to set a separate ou in smb.conf for
machines vs users.  Instead, I have it set to "ou=accounts,...." and
then in ldap have "ou=machines,ou=accounts" and
"ou=people,ou=accounts"-   samba searches "ou=accounts" and any levels
below it.

5.  User/group overlapping

If you have "local" users who sometimes need to be in LDAP groups-
well, actually you can't but maybe you have some users defined both in
ldap AND locally on some machines, using the same uid and password.
Or you could just make the webserver user be an ldap only account (which
should still be able to be in local groups)-  but then id LDAP is down
your webserver might not run.