[Samba] Connection to \\localhost\netlogon failed - NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

Mike 1100100 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 22:29:16 MST 2010

Hi Group,

I'm trying to install and test Samba4.

~#smbclient --version
Version 4.0.0alpha14-GIT-377b399

It appears the installation and provisioning was successful.

~# ./smbclient -L localhost -U%

Sharename       Type       Comment
---------               ----          -------
netlogon           Disk
sysvol              Disk
IPC$                 IPC        IPC Service
REWRITE: list servers not implemented

But, the same example in the Samba4 Howto also shows a line in the
results that I do not have:
ADMIN$          Disk       DISK Service

And when I try to test that authentication is working by connecting to
the netlogon share using the administrator password, I see the
following failure:

~# ./smbclient //localhost/netlogon -Uadministrator%<<my_admin_password>>
Connection to \\localhost\netlogon failed - NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

testparm reveals the following:
# Global parameters
[global]
        server role = domain controller
        workgroup = CENTER
        realm = center.abc.com
        netbios name = SATO
        setup directory = setup/

[netlogon]
        path = /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol/center.abc.com/scripts
        read only = No

[sysvol]
        read only = No

I've googled around but nothing refers specifically to Samba-4.
I have not yet setup bind or kerberos, as I've been following the
install/setup sequence straight from the Samba 4 wiki howto.

Any guidance greatly appreciated.