[Samba] Oddness with SMB, PsExec, Win 7, etc...

David Durant dave at bowsy.co.uk
Tue Dec 21 20:08:22 MST 2010

Hi,

I've got a simple PHP script which is using psexec from sysinternals to
execute commands on a remote machine (which uses SMB under the hood). If I
run it from DOS it works fine. If I run the same script via apache it hangs.
Fired up Wireshark and had a look at what was going on. In the working
version the treeconnect calls go to the IPC$ and then the ADMIN$ accounts on
the remote machine. On the non-working version only treeconnect to ADMIN$ is
sent. This is weird as both times the script is executed using the same user
account on the local machine (checked by shelling-out to call 'whoami' which
returns the same for both). Both boxes are running Win 7.

Posting on Sysinternals
Forum<http://forum.sysinternals.com/problems-with-psexec-and-php_topic24670.html>
.

Screencap showing differences in Wireshark output <http://flic.kr/p/93GBie>.