[Samba] name resolution: dns name different to windows machinename

Daniel Müller mueller at tropenklinik.de
Tue Dec 21 01:14:41 MST 2010

Hi,
DNS is DNS and WINS is WINS. XP Machines in a Samba3 Domain with WINS will
resolve their names by WINS.
What must be exactly the same is the netbios name of your workstations( if
it is part of your dns-name). You cannot change your netbios name five times
a day without put for each name an entry in your samba db.
I think what your dns administrator will do is give each machine a dynamic
ip with exactly the same host name.

EDV Daniel Müller

Leitung EDV
Tropenklinik Paul-Lechler-Krankenhaus