[Samba] Ldap Users only?

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 18:30:03 MST 2010

Your example is a text-book case of why you would use domains.   I am not
sure why it would be unacceptable-  since you already have a samba machine
and, from the user POV, the login process is practically the same.   The
LDAP component is for the samba backend-  you would need an LDAP backend for
samba if you have more than one domain controller, and you might want to use
LDAP backend for samba if you are already using LDAP for other stuff.

But since windows domain model is unacceptable, the only other solution I
can think of is the use Kerberos.    You can configure XP machines to use
Kerberos authentication, and then configure your linux server as a Kerberos
server. You would have to look on support.microsoft.com for instructions for
the XP side of things.    Although I am then not sure how you would
configure samba to use Kerberos authentication as well.  Maybe if you
configure plaintext auth in samba so it can use the OS level authentication