[Samba] name resolution: dns name different to windows machine name

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 18:15:32 MST 2010

I am not sure how you would have a DNS server assign random names.  But if
you aren't going to have the correct entries for the XP machine in DNS, then
you probably should not have any DNS entries for those machines.    XP
machines can register their hostnames directly in DNS (if the DNS server
supports it.)  In general I don't think workstations machines need to be in
DNS at all since (unless you have shared folders or printers.)  I general
DISABLE dynamic updates in DNS and don't have DNS assignments/static IP's
for most XP machines.