[Samba] samba 3.5.6 - ''smbclient -U% -Llocalhost' results in error - using hostname works fine, new feature?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sat Dec 18 14:04:34 MST 2010

Guys,

	I have probably missed an announcement or overlooked something in a changelog,
but I just want to confirm what I'm seeing is expected behavior. I run samba in
standalone mode and I have always checked operation with

smbclient -U% -Llocalhost

	Now the faithful command returns an error:

Connection to localhost failed (Error NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME)

	Simply using the hostname instead of localhost works, and samba continues to
work fine. So this is really just confirmation request that what I'm seeing is
what I'm supposed to be seeing.

[14:55 nirvana:/etc] # smbclient -U% -Lnirvana
Domain=[RB_LAW] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.5.6]

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba 3.5.6)
<snip>

	So what say the experts? New security feature?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC