[Samba] samba 3 and active directory computers

Thu Dec 16 12:18:58 MST 2010

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 10:32:15AM -0600, Ben Cone wrote:

> I will note that Samba installed from Ubuntu's repositories does not include
> the file ntlmssp.c on my system.  I did grab a copy of the file, put it in
> the proper place, restarted samba, and I see the same things in my logs.
> The samba version from the repository is 3.4.7.

Did you recompile Samba? I'm not sure, but from what you
write sounds like you did not.

If you want official Ubuntu repos with that patch, you need
to contact Canonical support about this. You might also
contact one of the companies listed under
http://samba.org/samba/support to assist you to compile
Samba for you.

> I am still locked into how to make this work.  It reads that this seems not
> to be a problem at all in Samba 6 and I am debating installing the latest
> stable version of samba from source instead of aptitude.  Of course, that
> means I don't get patches from Ubuntu for it but once I get this going I am
> hoping to not have to do any real work on it again for a couple of years.

That's a valid request. But apparently you found a but in
what Ubuntu ships. One thing to look at might be to remove
the "force group". If you can live without that, it might
help you work around that bug.

Volker