[Samba] Samba upgrade HowTo requested

Peter Trifonov petert at dcn.ftk.spbstu.ru
Thu Dec 16 07:54:16 MST 2010

Hi Willy,

> Last weekend I decided to upgrade the samba server. We were running
> Samba
> 3.3 something and FreeBSD portupgrade was complaining that this
> version should be removed and assumingly replaced by the newest
> version. I removed the package via portupgrade and installed the 3.5.6
> version. The
Are you running  winbindd on this server? If yes, does it work properly?
In my case it failed to communicate group IDs to the system, so I had to
rollback to v. 3.4.9.

> And specifically for FreeBSD users: How should we deal with an upgrade of
samba via portupgrade?
I have upgraded it many times before, and in most cases it was just make
deinstall & make reinstall.

With best regards,
P. Trifonov