[Samba] Can Constant Failed Connection Attempts Crash a Server?

Tue Dec 14 00:25:14 MST 2010

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 06:10:11PM -0500, Andy Liebman wrote:
> We have not been able to reproduce this problem in house, but we
> continue to have several servers in the field that are freezing up
> whenever we get these hundreds of thousands of unsuccessful
> connection attempts.  Sometimes it can take weeks to crash.
> Sometimes it's days.  We tried getting traces but servers keep
> getting rebooted without getting  data.

It just magically reboots, or does someone reboot it? If it
magically reboots, please install some logging. If someone
presses the reset button without giving you the trace data
then sorry, this is just not solvable.

> As we have continued to research the problem, we have found several
> other postings from the Samba list that mention similar issues.  I
> don't see that any of them were ever resolved.
>
> http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2009-March/147197.html
> http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2009-October/150998.html
> http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2009-October/151583.html

If I remember correctly, at least one or two of those
threads were solved by de-installing some unneeded HP
printer software on the client.

> There's even one about Samba on OS X
> http://groups.google.com/group/macenterprise/browse_thread/thread/d525472792058b71?pli=1

OS/X has a heavily modified Samba 3.0. Please contact Apple
if you have questions about that.

> Something is going on here.  What more can we do to investigate it?
> If it's a Microsoft Windows installation going haywire on the
> network, how do we tame it?

Well, the client asks for a truncated share. We can
certainly suppress the error message.

With best regards,

Volker Lendecke

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9