[Samba] Samba4 smb.conf questions

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 00:37:29 MST 2010

Hi

On 8 December 2010 19:28, Ben Cone <bcone at wwhfb.com> wrote:
> I am trying to find a good guide for setting up the smb.conf and can't seem
> to find anything.
>
> Here's what I have been trying to do and it hasn't been working correctly.
>  We had a Windows Server 2003 DC.  I had to upgrade it because of some
> problems we were having and upgraded to Windows Server 2008 R2.  After that,
> my Samba 3 with Winbind file server quit authenticating to the AD domain and
> try as I might I couldn't get it to work.  This is largely because even
> though we have a perfectly good DC, all of our workstations are just in a
> giant workgroup (and management just won't give in and let me change it).
>  After playing with Likewise and samba for a bit I gave up that bag and
> thought I would give Samba4 a try.  So far I am really liking what I am
> seeing.  I realize that we are still in beta land, but what we have so far
> may just work for what I want to do.  I have been trying to find a good
> guide to configure the smb.conf file but haven't really found anything.

I believe it's currently best to have a Samba 3 member server joined
to the Samba 4 domain for file serving rather than doing the file
serving from Samba 4.  Of course I don't really see how joining Samba
4 to the domain will help get Samba 3 working :)

Perhaps you should provide more details on what is going wrong with
Samba 3 <-> Win2k8r2.

> By the way, successful install on ubuntu 10.04 x64 server that formally had
> samba 3 and winbind on it that were installed from aptitude.

Do you mean that you installed Samba 4 from the Ubuntu repositories?
If so, rather install from Git or perhaps Alpha 14 as per the Samba 4
HOWTO.

> Any help would be appreciated.

The samba-technical mailing list is currently the best place to ask
about issues with samba 4.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>