[Samba] Samba4 LDAP LDB Indexes

dmcfeeters domains at fiforms.org
Mon Dec 6 23:49:58 MST 2010

I have a system running Samba 4 Alpha 11, and I seem to have a corrupted LDB
file in my directory. (Probably the result of taking a backup without using
tdbbackup). Right now, running tdbbackup on the file produces an error
message similar to the following:

Failed to insert into DC=WWW,DC=EXAMPLE,DC=COM.ldb.bak.tmp
failed to copy DC=WWW,DC=EXAMPLE,DC=COM.ldb

If I run

ldbsearch -H "DC=WWW,DC=EXAMPLE,DC=COM.ldb" -a > www.example.com.ldif

I get a text file containing a text dump of my directory. I can reload this
into a new tdb file using ldbadd, but only if I remove the one object called
@INDEXLIST. Without removing this object, ldbadd simply hangs, and then
eventually dies with the following error:

ltdb: tdb(newfile.ldb): tdb_transaction_cancel: no transaction

Failed to commit transaction: Failed to store index records in transaction
commit: Other

So, my question is: am I on the right track in rebuilding this LDB file? I
know I should have kept a good backup, but right now I would really like to
recover the file, and it seems that all (or most) of my data is still there,
if it can only be made accessible. It seems that this should work, but it
doesn't seem to be importing any indexes, and if the file is not indexed I
fear that performance will not be acceptable (if it even works at all).

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

~Daniel