[Samba] cifs and Netapp DFS-shares problems

Fri Dec 10 03:28:45 MST 2010

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 11:25:46AM +0100, Marcus wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 09.12.2010, 01:37 +0100 schrieb Marcus:
> >
> > are there any known issues with cifs and DFS-shares on Netapp file
> > servers? We have a Netapp file sever with DFS on the user's home shares.
> > The home shares can successfully mounted with
> >
> >   mount -t cifs //sever/home/username /mnt/ -o user=username,domain=AD
> >
> > but the connection hangs in the moment a directory listing is started.
> > The strange thing is that only shares with activated DFS show this
> > problem. I'm not maintaining the Netapp file server therefore a can't
> > post more information about that system. On client side I'm using Ubuntu
> > LTS 10.04.1.
>
> This error only comes up, if DFS is activated on a share on the NetApp
> Server. Here is a kernel log:

cifsfs is not in NetApps supported client matrix. I have had
numerous customer issues regarding that combination. The
worst one was data corruption of Thunderbird mailboxes
stored on NetApp using cifsfs.

Don't ever use cifsfs to access data on a NetApp box. This
just does not work.

Volker