[Samba] Improving Samba write performance on Linux

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Dec 9 11:15:53 MST 2010

On Thu, Dec 09, 2010 at 02:58:27PM +0100, Björn Jacke wrote:

> > As Linux is our primary deployment platform and most Linux
> > distributions are now using ext4, I'm proposing to change the default
> > of the "strict allocate" smb.conf parameter to change from "no" to
> > "yes" for the 3.6.0 release.
>
> this would result in timeouts and performance penalties for the
> majority of existing systems out there when large files are being
> written.

Not true. As benchmarked by Intel themselves a year or so ago,
it actually slightly increases performance even on ext3.

I am planning to make "strict allocate = yes" the default
for 3.6.0 unless someone can show me a *compelling* reason
not to do so. I will make the switch in 1 weeks time in v3-6-test,
so you have until then to make your case :-).

> Jeremy: would you like to have a look at bug 6942 ? That one is about
> this topic in the AIO case, which is still not handled ...

Sure, I'll look at that.

Jeremy.