[Samba] Samba4 smb.conf questions

Ben Cone bcone at wwhfb.com
Wed Dec 8 10:28:57 MST 2010

I am trying to find a good guide for setting up the smb.conf and can't seem
to find anything.

Here's what I have been trying to do and it hasn't been working correctly.
 We had a Windows Server 2003 DC.  I had to upgrade it because of some
problems we were having and upgraded to Windows Server 2008 R2.  After that,
my Samba 3 with Winbind file server quit authenticating to the AD domain and
try as I might I couldn't get it to work.  This is largely because even
though we have a perfectly good DC, all of our workstations are just in a
giant workgroup (and management just won't give in and let me change it).
 After playing with Likewise and samba for a bit I gave up that bag and
thought I would give Samba4 a try.  So far I am really liking what I am
seeing.  I realize that we are still in beta land, but what we have so far
may just work for what I want to do.  I have been trying to find a good
guide to configure the smb.conf file but haven't really found anything.

By the way, successful install on ubuntu 10.04 x64 server that formally had
samba 3 and winbind on it that were installed from aptitude.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ben