[Samba] workgroup name length limitation in samba 3.5.6...

miguelmedalha at sapo.pt miguelmedalha at sapo.pt
Thu Dec 2 09:39:55 MST 2010

>      I face problems trying to input workgroup name lengths more
> than 15 characters in smb.conf and run nmbd. I am using samba 3.5.6
> (source3 version of nmbd in 3.5.6 package).

This is not a Samba limitation, this is by NetBIOS design, which Samba
of course respects:

Look at this page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NetBIOS

"NetBIOS names are 16 octets in length and vary based on the
particular implementation. Frequently, the 16th octet is used to
designate a "type" similar to the use of ports in TCP/IP. It is called
the NetBIOS Suffix (read below) or "resource type", and is used to
tell other applications what type of services the system offers."

Looking at your smb.conf, it seems to me that you are mixing up
NetBIOS domain names and FQDNs (Fully Qualified Domain Names). They
are not the same thing and should be used in their proper place.