[Samba] Windows 2000 vs SAMBA 4

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Dec 1 15:04:56 MST 2010

On Mon, 2010-11-29 at 12:36 +0100, Rafa Toucedo wrote:
> Hi all, is my first posting to the list, first of all thank the people of
> the project samba version 4 since it works very well with great power and
> stability.
>
> My scenario is as follows. I have an older server running Windows 2000
> server with SP4, and a modern 4 working perfectly as SAMBA PDC. My goal is
> to pass the users, computers and security policies of Windows 2000 to
> SAMBA4. Is this possible? I have understood you have to do a "DCPROMO" in
> SAMBA can it be? thank you very much in advance.

We are working to enable support for Windows 2000 DCs as a target for a
'samba-tool join' (which will then do what our previous 'vampire' tool
did, and make Samba an additional DC in that domain).

Some fixes for this were made yesterday, but we know that some other
issues remain.  Our automated testing infrastructure is being extended
to support this, and so we should be able to reliably handle this in the
near future.

Andrew Bartlett

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.