[Samba] Permissions problem

George Mamalakis mamalos at eng.auth.gr
Wed Dec 1 04:14:24 MST 2010

On 01/12/2010 11:38, Bruno MACADRE wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>     I've got an old server running SAMBA 3.3.0. I've some shares on
> it. All shares looks like this :
>
> [partinfo]
>     path=/shares/partinfo
>     valid users = +info
>     force user = %U
>     force group = info
>     read only = No
>     create mask = 0660
>     directory mask = 0770
>
> All works perfectly : When I create a file on this share other users
> in the info group can modify it but nobody can delete it (exactly that
> i want).
>
> But, it's time to change our server and to put a newer version of
> SAMBA (3.5.6). On the new server, the behaviour is totaly different
> (with the same smb.conf file) : When I create a new file, other users
> n the group info can modify it AND delete it (exactly that i don't
> want) !!!
>
> Worst ! When I put in this share (localy in root) a file like this :
> # echo "Test" >/shares/partinfo/testfile
> # chown root.root /shares/partinfo/testfile
> # chmod 600 /shares/partinfo/testfile
>
> When I return to my share (like above) with my user (not admin user) I
> can delete the file 'testfile' without any problem !!!
>
> I think this behaviour is not the 'normal' behaviour. What can I've
> missed ? Does anyone have any tips ?
>
>     Regards,
>     Bruno.

Please, show as the /shares/partinfo permissions (which is responsible
for reading/writing content into it).

Thanx,

mamalos

--
George Mamalakis

IT Officer
Electrical and Computer Engineer (Aristotle Un. of Thessaloniki),
MSc (Imperial College of London)

Faculty of Engineering
Aristotle University of Thessaloniki

phone number : +30 (2310) 994379