[Samba] Domain not available even minutes after workstation startup

Abe Lau abelau+samba at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 18:22:24 MDT 2010

Thanks Gaiseric for the note.

I checked the XP Event Log, and the only error is:

Automatic certificate enrollment for local system failed to contact the
active directory (0x8007054b).  The specified domain either does not exist
or could not be contacted.  Enrollment will not be performed.

The only suspicious entry in samba log: (I remember this could safely be
ignored)

[2010/09/01 09:10:17,  1] smbd/session.c:111(session_claim)  Re-using
invalid record

The PDC was changed to connect via two bonded gigabit connection
(balance-alb) in a mixed 1000/100 network few months ago.  Contrary to the
MS support link, we have problem with both 100Mbps and 1000Mbps connections
intermittently.

Is any way to get XP to split out detailed log when it says "domain is not
available"?

Is setting Winlogoncachedlogonscount the good way to avoid logon problem
when network is not ready during initial bootup?  According to MS, if the
domain server is not available and logon data is not cached, "domain is not
available" will occur.

Any further insight?

Abe

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 10:00 PM, Gaiseric Vandal <gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com