[Samba] Moving to a new PDC, and if possible, rename the domain name

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 13:06:05 MDT 2010

Is the existing server using tdbsam or LDAP?  The pdbedit command has
options to import/export from/to various backends.   Once you copy the
accounts from one server to another you could configure the new server to
temporarily be a BDC, then make it a PDC and drop the original serve.

Does the Mac OS server have LDAP server functionality already built in?  Is
it using openldap or something else.

Re renaming a domain-  each domain has a unique SID, so you could rename a
domain but keep the same SID.  However, samba logs show that domain members
are using the domain name when looking for a DC.   I don't think windows
clients will let you change the domain name without leaving and rejoining
the domain UNLESS you can find some registry setting to change.