[Samba] AD caching with Samba?

Ryan Bair ryandbair at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 14:03:25 MDT 2010

No, this is not possible. Samba3 cannot act domain controller for AD
domains, nor can it act as a BDC for NT domains.

Samba4, which is currently in alpha, will have the ability to serve as
an AD domain controller as well as a read-only domain controller along
side Windows servers. Some people are using Samba4 in production
today, but I'm not aware of anyone using Samba4 as a domain controller
(read-only or otherwise) with Windows domain controllers in
production.

In short, its still alpha.