[Samba] impossible to attach a computer to the domain

rsa31 informatique at mairie-ramonville.fr
Thu Aug 26 09:52:09 MDT 2010

Hello

Due to the migration from my old server Linux Debian Woody / Samba 3.4
(PDC, wins server, without windbind without ldap, with smbpasswd passwd
backend) (hardware obsolete)
to a new server with Debian Lenny Linux / Samba 3.4.8 (backport)
and the same configuration (PDC WINS server without windbind without ldap,
with smbpasswd passwd backend)

I am unable to join new windows computer to domain
and if I disconnect a computer already connected, I am unable to reconnect.

I have the following error message in log.nmbd:
wins_registration_timeout: WINS server 127.0.0.1 timed out registering IP
192.168.9.104 (ip PDC)

message on the computer Win XP at the junction to the domain:
"A domain controller for domain XXXX could not be contacted"

the computer account has been created on the samba PDC.
the WINS is configured on the new and old computer.
no firewall enabled on the server or on computers.
ping to the server is OK

If I connect locally on the computer as an administrator,
I can access the samba server and its shares through Network Neighborhood.
(User administrator exist in the samba server and is the domain
administrator).

no error in the samba log for that computer except a trace of access made
from the Network Neighborhood

computers that were already connected to domain before migration have no
problem.

smb.conf :
# Global parameters
[global]
        unix charset = ISO8859-1
        display charset = ISO8859-1
        workgroup = MAIRIE
        server string = Serveur %h (Samba %v)
        security = user
        log level = 4
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        time server = Yes
        printing = cups
        printcap name = cups
        show add printer wizard = No
        logon script = %U.bat
        logon path =
        logon home =
        logon drive =
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 255
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        wins support = Yes
        dns proxy = No
        name resolve order = wins host bcast lmhosts
        passdb backend = smbpasswd
        ldap ssl = no
        admin users = xxxxx,yyyy,administrateur
        nt acl support = No
        hide special files = Yes
        guest account = nobody

[homes]
        comment = Repertoires personnels des utilisateurs
        path = /home/samba/utilisateurs/%U
        username = %S
        valid users = %S
        read only = No
        browseable = No

[netlogon]
        comment = Chemin de demarrage des scripts de connexion
        path = /home/scripts
        browseable = No
        guest ok = Yes
        read only = Yes

Have you any ideas to solve this problem?

Thank you

Sincerely,