[Samba] Windows 7 on startup always loads temporary profiles samba 3.4.8

German Molano gmolano at ignios.net
Wed Aug 25 08:15:31 MDT 2010

  On 25/08/2010 08:27 a.m., Daniel Müller wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I think this is discussed  here several times but this problem driving me
> mad.
Believe me, this was not discussed as many times as you think.
> I can join the win7 pc to the samba domain on the fly, but after logoff and
> then logon it always complain about
> The temporary profile thing (on Win xp it is working!!!!!):
> In my global section:
> logon script=login.bat
> logon path=\\%L\homes\%U\profile
>
> then:
>

> [profiles]
>     comment = Benutzer Profil %U
>     path = /home/samba/share/home/%U/profile
>     guest ok = no
>     browseable = no
>     create mask = 0600
>     directory mask = 0700
>        profile acls = yes
>     hide files=/Desktop.ini/Thumbs.db/lost+found
>     force user = %U
>     valid users = %U "Domain Admins"
>     csc policy = disable
>     read only = no
>
> Any ideas??

Disable completly the roaming profile behavior Win 7 Workstations, this
could be done by  registry.

HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System LocalProfile 1 REG_DWORD
HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System ReadOnlyProfile 1 REG_DWORD
Remenber that this could takes effect only after a Windows restart ...

Second, disable logon path directive unless you need it

;logon path = \\%L\homes\%U\profile
logon path =

If you need it copy a Default profile generated by Windows 7 to this
folder, you could found it on c:\users folder on any Windows 7 Workstation.

Third there is a registry value on Windows 7, called ProfileList
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \
ProfileList

Sometimes when you test or login for first time Windows 7 Workstation,
it will write this registry with the user profile path, I don't know how
the heck it mixed Temporary profiles with local profiles definition, the
result every time you log in with a user it recreates the profile on
c:\users\TEMP  but the system initially do not recognize the profile as
a temporary but as Local or Mobile, depending on your definition. At the
logout of the user session it treats the profile as a temporary one
deleting the TEMP folder and all changes you done on it --Nasty thing --.
So my advice delete those entries where the domain users gets
c:\users\TEMP as the default profile path.

Then log in the user to create a truly own Local profile.

I use kixtart tools to do most of this work, i disable the folder
redirection for those users that use local profiles, to them they use
the default folders locations. I believe that there is something related
with the folder redirection setting and this annoying behavior
--deleting the whole profile--.

I found out a Registry value that affects Windows Vista and 7
Workstations MachineProfilePath
HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System
Is for roaming profiles, but maybe could be tricked to be mobile or
"local" if you set local or mobile the path as you need it.