[Samba] samba 4 questions (status, roaming profiles, etc)

Aaron Solochek aarons-samba at aberrant.org
Tue Aug 24 07:57:35 MDT 2010

I'm testing samba 4 (pulling from git) on my ubuntu 10.4 box and have a
bunch of questions I can't seem to find answers for on the web.

1) There is some problem with my roaming profile such that windows
complains and logs me in using my most recently saved profile.  I've
tried moving my profile on the server out of the way, but windows
doesn't seem to recreate it.  How do I make it recreate a roaming
profile?  The client is windows 7.

2) My AD domain is FOO.COM, but the actual domain internally is
bar.foo.com.  I ran into some issues with this, this biggest of which
was that clients would try to pull their group policy from
//FOO.COM/sysvol/foo.com/... which meant that the server needed to be
exposed externally.  I solved this by having foo.com resolve to the
local IP internally, but I was wondering if there is some more elegant
way to tell clients that the controller for FOO.COM is <some arbitrary
host> for these purposes.  Also, am I going to run into other pain by
having a flat AD domain scheme?  Creating a BAR.FOO.COM domain seems
like it would be a pain at this point.

3) What is the status of printing in samba4?  The most recent thing I
could find online was from 2005 and said it wasn't implemented yet.  All
our printers are IP printers, and my goal is to have them automatically
added to machines via group policy.

4) What's the deal with the Users and Computers sections of group policy
objects?  If I already have my users and computers separated into People
and Machines groups in active directory, and have two group policy
objects People_GP and Machines_GP applied to their respective groups,
will settings in the Users section of Machines_GP apply to any user that
logs in to a machine in the Machines group?

5) Where can I find all the smb.conf options that are actually valid for
samba4?

6) I can't seem to edit the unix attributes for users in AD.  I'd really
like to be able to pull account information down via ldap on unix
machines.  Is this possible?

Ok, I think that's enough for now.  I really appreciate any help people
can offer.

Thanks.

-Aaron