[Samba] id mapping

Greg Dickie greg at justaguy.ca
Mon Aug 23 15:21:28 MDT 2010

Hi,

  Today I'm trying to debug a problem on samba 3.5.4 where a domain
member server is having trouble mapping UIDs to SIDs. I must admit I
never really looked at this before as everything seemed to "just work".
Today I discovered that idmap backend on the PDC and the member server
were both defaulted to tdb. This means they have independent views of
UID to SID mappings I guess. That sucks. So I'm looking at the ldap
backend but I notice that it uses a special ou in the LDAP tree to store
mappings. Why do we need that if the sambaSamAccount schema also has
SIDs and UIDs for each user. Also, how is that tree populated?

Looking at my PDC it seems to just pull everything out of gencache.tdb
or say that no mapping exists. Doing a tdbdump of winbind_idmap.tdb
shows only a few entries. This seems to be more complicated than I
expected. I'm sorry if this is a silly question but what am I doing
wrong?

Thanks a lot,
Greg

--