[Samba] how to set folder redirection on Windows 7 with a Samba PDC

German Molano gmolano at ignios.net
Mon Aug 23 09:38:23 MDT 2010

  On 22/08/2010 01:44 a.m., Abe Lau wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 2:48 PM, German Molano <gmolano at ignios.net
> <mailto:gmolano at ignios.net>> wrote:
>
>      On 21/08/2010 10:54 p.m., Abe Lau wrote:
>
>         Hi,
>         I have read that Windows 7 is using a new admx format and that
>         it is not
>         compatible with the old-school poledit.  If I would like to
>         stick with a
>         Samba PDC, is there any elegant way to get Windows 7 client to
>         obey the
>         folder redirection(and possibly other rules) set using poledit&
>         NTConfig.pol?
>
>     Yes there is a way to do folder redirection with kixtart tools
>      you can write directly to the Windows Registry modyfing the
>     Workstation Settings.
>
>     In your netlogon start up script call kix32 runtime with your own
>     script with some values like these:
>
>     $UserShellFolders =
>     "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
>     Shell Folders"
>     WriteValue($UserShellFolders, "Personal", "H:\Documents", "REG_SZ")
>     WriteValue($UserShellFolders, "AppData",
>     "H:\.winsettings\appdata", "REG_SZ")
>     WriteValue($UserShellFolders, "Desktop", "H:\WinDesktop", "REG_SZ")
>     WriteValue($UserShellFolders, "My Music", "H:\Music", "REG_SZ")
>     WriteValue($UserShellFolders, "My Pictures", "H:\Pictures", "REG_SZ")
>     WriteValue($UserShellFolders, "My Video", "H:\Videos", "REG_SZ")
>     WriteValue($UserShellFolders,
>     "{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}", "H:\Downloads", "REG_SZ")
>

>         I have been searching the mailing list, but there doesn't
>         seems to be much
>         detailed information on how to get Windows 7 to integrate
>         nicely with a
>         Samba PDC.  Any insights?
>
>         Thanks,
>         Abe
>

>     --
>

> Thanks German Molano.
>
> That may seems to be a viable solution.  By the way, the webpage
> doesn't mention Windows 7 being supported?  Is the webpage just outdated?

Yes it is supported but some Registry values are protected and some
values differs from Windows 7/Vista to Windows XP/2000, but with
kixstart you could distinct between platforms and apply settings depend
on it, it could be done like this:

$ntversion = READVALUE("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\", "CurrentVersion")

Select

	Case $ntversion = 6.1 ;Windows 7

		WriteValue(....

	Case $ntversion = 6.0 ;Windows Vista

		WriteValue(....

	Case $ntversion = 5.1 ;Windows XP

		WriteValue(....

	Case $ntversion = 5.0 ;Windows 2000

		WriteValue(....

> Not knowing much about kixtart, does it mean that I could replace
> everything in NTConfig.pol with a kixtart script?  That would be an
> elegant solution before Samba4 is ready I suppose :-)

NTConfig.pol modifies resgistry settings at logon, so yes you could
replace it, but is little less "graphical" because you deal with a
script not with a GUI. Also you could deliver policies with a Domain
Group basis with conditionals like this:

If InGroup( "MYDOMAIN\Accounting" )

     WriteValue(....

EndIf