[Samba] Samba + set POSIX ACL's over Windows

Oliver Weinmann oliver.weinmann at vega.de
Thu Aug 19 07:24:26 MDT 2010

Hi,

we recently purchased a NAS (QNAP) with Samba version 3.5.2. In order to assign permissions on subfolders we enabled Posix ACL's. The problem is that we need to allow only a certain group to do this. The ACL entries in our smb.conf are the following:

        acl compatibility = auto
        acl check permissions = Yes
        acl group control = Yes
        acl map full control = Yes
        force unknown acl user = No
        inherit acls = No
        nt acl support = Yes
        profile acls = No
        map acl inherit = Yes

The parameter "acl group control" should allow us to do this. But we can't change the owner of the subfolder. When we try to set the group as owner we get the following error message:

Unable to set new owner on New folder. You do not have the Restore privilege required to set this user/group as owner.

I have goggled a lot but couldn't find a solution to this.

Is there a way to set the group as owner on the Linux cmdline?

Regards,
Oliver

Oliver Weinmann
Unix and Storage Administrator

VEGA Deutschland GmbH
Europaplatz 5
64293 Darmstadt
Germany
Tel	: +49 (0)6151 8257-0
Fax	: +49 (0)6151 8257-744
Email	: oliver.weinmann at vega.de
Web	: www.vega.de

Registered office/Sitz: Köln, Register court/Registergericht: Köln, HRB 43180; Managing Directors/Geschäftsführer: Kurosch Balali, Sigmar Keller, John Lewis, Manfred Müller

Notice of Confidentiality

This transmission is intended for the named addressee only. It contains information which may be confidential and which may also be privileged.  Unless you are the named addressee (or authorised to receive it for the addressee) you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else.  If you have received this transmission in error please notify the sender immediately.
.