[Samba] Windows 7 connect to FreeBSD samba

dan dylan ilovesamba0 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 14:52:34 MDT 2010

I'm having trouble connecting my windows 7 machine to my Samba server that i
set up on a FreeBSD VM. The FreeBSD version is 7.2 and the samba version is
3.

I followed the directions here
http://www.mrp3.com/windows-to-unix-samba.html to set it up as a domain
controller exactly.. except for adding the samba_dns_update script because i
didn't find it being asked for in the config file.

The name of my Windows computer is Pushkin-PC so like it says in the script
I added it using adduser and put it under the machines group. I added it as
Pushkin-PC$ though.. as the site showed. then I did smbpasswd -a Pushkin-PC$
which also made me make a password.

Then the script said to finalize it by doing the command smbpasswd -m
Pushkin-PC$ .. but when I executed that command i got the errors:

Failed to set password for user Pushkin-PC$.
Failed to modify password entry for user Pushkin-PC$.

I couldn't figure out why...

Here's my config file.. all the uncommented parts:

server string = WORKGROUP
server string = Samba Server
security = user
hosts allow = 192.168.1 192.168.2 127.
load printers = yes
printing = cups
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 50
passdb backend = tdbsam
include = /usr/local/etc/smb.conf.%m
local master = yes
os level = 33
domain master = yes
preferred master = auto
domain logons = yes
logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U
wins support = yes
dns proxy = no
add user script = /usr/local/sbin/smb-add-user %u
add group script = /usr/local/sbin/smb-add-group %g
add machine script = /usr/local/sbin/smb-add-machine %u
add user to group script = /usr/local/sbin/smb-add-user-group %u %g
delete user script = /usr/local/sbin/smb-rm-user %u
delete user from group script = /usr/local/sbin/smb-rm-user-group %u %g
delete group script = /usr/local/sbin/smb-rm-group %g

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
browseable = no
writeable = yes

[netlogon]
comment = Network Logon Service
path = /usr/local/lib/samba/netlogon
guest ok = yes
writeable = no
share modes = no

[profiles]
path = /usr/local/lib/samba/profiles
browseable = no
guest ok = yes

[printers]
comment =All Pringers
path = /var/spool/samba
browseable = no
guest ok = no
writeable = no
printable = yes

anyways, when try to connect my windows pc (Pushin-PC) to samba.. i do the
following command:

\\192.168.198.137\Pushkin-PC$

the ip is the freebsd's ip running samba.

and I get the following error: The network path was not found.

Help?