[Samba] enable client to join domain with no or any password?

David Mathog mathog at caltech.edu
Tue Aug 17 15:52:51 MDT 2010

It looks like I am getting a little ahead of myself.  While it is
possible to join/leave a domain from W7 clients via
  start->control panel -> system
so far I have not been able to do it from powershell (as administrator).

For instance

remove-computer -cred root

prompts for the password, type it in, and it (eventually) says:

... the specified domain does not exist or cannot be contacted.

Similar problems for add-computer.

Anybody have this working with powershell?

Thanks,

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu