[Samba] Samba - GID on files created in a directory

Jeffrey M. Johnson jjohnson at umn.edu
Fri Aug 13 09:07:10 MDT 2010

I recently upgraded to Samba 3.0.37 (not the most current but when running
2.0.x it was a big step.)

However I now have an issue I just can't seem to fix, being entirely
possible I stared at it for a week without seeing it.

The old version used to inherent the GID from the parent directory.   I can
honestly say I have no idea how I configured that to work but it was seven
years ago and the documentation I now has says that is not strictly
possible.

In reading the O Reilly and the on line documentation I see how to force a
GID, however my share in question supports way to much stuff to set one GID,
I really need it to inherit the GID from the parent.

Would someone point me in the correct direction here.

Jeffrey M. Johnson