[Samba] Permission issue (I think)

Massner, Keith kmassner at mgmresorts.com
Wed Aug 11 11:27:22 MDT 2010

I'm attempting to modify/delete files from Vista and am getting an
intermittent error that permission is denied.  Frustrating.  I can
create new files all day long. I might be able to rename it once or
twice.  But then I'll get a permission denied error.  I can NEVER delete
a file I created.

What I want is a share that is world readable, writeable, modifiable,
etc.  Yes, I know its insecure.  But its just me.

I'm using Samba 3.5.4 on CentOS 5.5, 32 bit.  Yep, I have set all file
permissions and ownership.  Also of note is that the same directory is
exported for NFS (and mounted via nfs on a media player when its turned
on).  NFS has no permissions problems. Lsattr shows nothing interesting.

A sample of smbstatus is:
4667         500        DENY_NONE  0x20089     RDONLY     NONE
/storage1/SharedMedia   Music/Alison Krauss/Lonely Runs Both Ways/02
Restless.mp3   Wed Aug 11 01:44:54 2010

Here's my stuff:
[global]
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
; Take this out once you figure this crap out.
        log level = 10
        netbios name = marvin
        interfaces = 192.168.2.11/24
        usershare owner only = false
        null passwords = yes
        server string = Samba Server Version %v (%h)
        security = SHARE
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        max log size = 50
        preferred master = Yes
        acl check permissions = No
        guest ok = Yes
        guest only = Yes
        nt acl support = No
        cups options = raw
        load printers = No
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=65536
SO_SNDBUF=65536
[SharedMedia]
        path = /storage1/SharedMedia
        force user = keith